Thursday, June 9, 2011

"That is not a mountain, that is a HILL!"

Thanks to Pradipti, I made it safely to Nepal on Tuesday night! It was dark when we left the airport and I was then introduced to something I have not had to deal with much in my life: TRAFFIC! I've been to New York, I've been to Chicago, and they don't hold a candle to the traffic here. Scooters + Bikes + Cars + Narrow Roads + Uneven lanes + Pedestrians + Cows in the road + No Traffic Signs= Absolute Chaos! I'm so glad that we have a driver! Wednesday morning I awoke to realize what a beautiful place I am in. I have a breathtaking view of what I call mountains, but I was told were only hills. I am told I will get to see mountains before I leave though! Sneha's mother has beautiful flowers, many to my surprise, similar to what we have in the US. Sneha has taken me around the city, to the airport to pick up her grandmother, to meet many of her family members, and to Durbar Square where one of the three kings once ruled. It is all so mesmerizing to me. I will admit, although it was a bit scary I loved riding with Sneha on her scooter! I could see in every direction and was able to take pictures as we rode down the street. Yesterday we visited Maatri Shishu School and delivered books that Westminster College's Making Lives Better had collected during the school year. They students stole my heart. I sat in on their music class and my grandma would be pleased to know, that indeed music knows no bounds as I sang with them "We Shall Overcome."

No comments:

Post a Comment