Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Traveled to the Future!

And now I am back in the past. According to the Nepali calendar, it is year 2068. But now I'm back home and it's 2011. I was selfish my last couple of days in Nepal and didn't write a blog. I wanted to soak in every last drop of the culture, food, friends, and my new family I knew I was going to miss so much when I left. On Friday, we did our last Making Lives Better project in Nepal (but Sneha, Pradipti, and KC will head off with a whole crew in July to install water purification systems for Projects for Peace!). We delivered bookbags filled with notebooks, pencils, and pens to students in the Kamdhenu School and what a site it was! We were able to provide over 250 students with bookbags and supplies! We filled the bookbags the day before and rented a bus to take us to the location...only it couldn't! We still had to walk about half a mile carrying all the school supplies down a very narrow raised path and across the scariest bridge of my life! It was made of cable and it shook and it had broke in the past (or so they teased me) and I could see the water below, and KC started jumping to scare me and it worked and.....well you get the picture!! Actually, I'll see if I can get the picture uploaded. Students from Maatri Shishu School assisted us in every way. They carried bookbags and notebooks, helped us organize once we got there and were wonderful translators for me once we arrived!!! The fact that I don't speak Nepali wasn't helpful during this donation. There was once English teacher in the school, but many of the children really struggled to grasp the language. The students of Maatri Shishu kept me in the know, and had a blast trying to teach me words on the bus ride home! The students of Kamdhenu were so thankful for the supplies we provided them with! They showered us with garlands of marigolds and small bouquets they had made and some even performed a patriotic song. On Saturday, Sneha, her brother and father took me to a Nepali engagement ceremony. It was colorful, fancy, musical, and traditional! The family was dressed to impress and the bride and groom were covered in garlands of all sorts. Sneha and I wore kurtas, traditional Nepali long shirts with legging like pants. Guess what color mine was?! Of course, orange! We spent the afternoon at home. Amu, Sneha, and I packed my luggage. I came with two bags half empty and left with four full!! In my defense, I did bring back goods for Making Lives Better and some things for Sneha. I baked with Rohit, took a nap and listened to it rain. Sneha's parents took us out for dinner at a very tasty restaurant! Amu, Sneha, and I walked down the street to visit a sacred chariot that is pulled around by hand. It was dark outside and people came from all around to light candles around it...it was a sight that made the hair stand up on my arms. Once back at home we all indulged in brownies and cake. Sunday morning my flight left at 9:30am and we left the house by 6:30am. Saying goodbye is not one of my strong points. Saying goodbye to the people who had taken care of me for the last month was difficult to say the least. I'm not going to tell you that there were tears in my eyes or a big lump in my throat that prevented me from talking.... But before I knew it, I was through customs and all alone on my trip back to the past. 5 airports and almost two days later I arrived back at home safely! But without my baggage. :-( Thanks to Amu's advice, we taped my name all over my bags along with my address and yesterday I got notification that they had found my bags and they should arrive at my house tomorrow! So, my turn of the Take a Friend Home experience is over, but not my love for Nepal. I would like let everyone know how much I sincerely appreciate their kindness and generosity in making my stay the absolute best experience of my life. I miss you all already and I promise I will take good care of Sneha when she arrives in August! Be ready for a different life Sneha! The Show-Me State is ready to Show-You what we're all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment