Thursday, June 16, 2011

Generosity of the Nepali People

Yesterday, Sneha and I picked up a collection of donated items for Making Lives Better from Rupy's International School where her brother Rohit attends school. All the items were donated by the school children and they did a fantastic job! We completely filled an SUV with all the items. Just as when I was in Belize, I thoroughly enjoyed talking with the children. They are so intelligent, most of them being trilingual! We took pictures with them and I even played a little basketball...well....tried to! I met Sneha's grandfather who lived in the US while he served in the Nepali Army. I like him very much and he likes to talk to me about farming in the US because he oversees a farm here in Nepal. He introduced me to my favorite treat since being in Nepal; geri and swari. Its similar to a funnel cake, but smaller and brittle and oh soo SWEET!! (Everyone comments on my name here, because Misty means sweet in Bengali, a language spoken in India). This morning we visited Sangita's school again. I absolutely love the children there! I sat in on music class again. I just can't capture enough of their spirit! I also watched my first 3-D movie in a theatre that puts most of the theatres I've been to in the US to shame! It was Kung Fu Panda 2. I guess I should go watch Kung Fu Panda 1 now...haha. We then rode motorbikes, I rode on Prateek's orange one, to the Monkey Temple. It was a very interesting place with the most spectacular view of an on-coming storm and a rainbow! We went grocery shopping and then Sneha and I had dinner with her aunt, uncle, and cousin. I was literally showered with gifts from a handmade necklace and bracelet, to a favorite jam of the little cousin. When preparing the meal, they made it especially bland for me, knowing that I cannot tolerate any spice! Sneha's little cousin took a liking to teaching me Nepali words, something I cannot say I excel at pronouncing! lol Her aunt also painted my fingernails and toenails with the cutest little flowers! We rode scooters home and I starred at the full moon the whole way, trying to imagine what it would look like from Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment