Monday, June 20, 2011

A Remarkable Experience: Nepali Hospitals

Sneha's Aunt Chanda is one of Nepal's finest doctors who specializes in women's health as an OB/GYN. I first met Chanda when she visited Westminster this spring. She happily agreed to take me to her hospital while I was in Nepal, and today was the big day! Traffic made us almost on hour late, but it was well worth the wait. I'm going to try to keep this g-rated for those of you with weak stomachs and weak hearts. I was in the operating room for a c-section and two abortions. The way operation rooms function is soooo very different than in the US. Flip flops are worn, cell phones are used, and the level of sanitation is much different as well as the level of technology. Those things may be different, but the people are not. Despite the language barrier I was able to detect happiness, fear, and absolute terror in the patients I saw. I toured the entire hospital and was fascinated by the way things work. Most charting is done by paper, not computer. Most communication within the hospital is done by personal cell phone. The hospital is not airconditioned, yet some of the operating room were. There was only one elevator in the entire 5 story hospital to move patients. If it breaks they carry them up stairs. Closed toed shoes aren't worn anywhere. Families aren't allowed to be with women while they give birth. Wheelchairs aren't really wheelchairs, but lawnchairs on wheels. Syringes are thrown in trash cans that sit in the hallways. Medications are not locked in cabinets. My list could go on and on but I do realize for those of you not interested in medicine, this isn't too entertaining! But despite all these things, in what I have learned is true Nepali spirit, the doctors and nurses care so much for their patients and make them laugh and feel safe and secure; something I admire and respect. So to say the least, I had an eye-opening, remarkable, and absolutely perspective changing experience! An enormous thank you to Dr. Chanda Karki and Shreyashi for your time, energy, and knowledge today!

No comments:

Post a Comment